Saturday, December 13, 2008

Vapors

"Don’t shed another tear over a chopped onion. Sturdy plastic goggles feature comfortable foam seal that protects eyes from onion vapors; with anti-fog lenses for maximum clarity. One size fits most. " From Sur La Table

I saw these goggles when I was out shopping the other day and it reminded me of a story. About 5 years I had to chop tons and tons of onions for some food for a party. I wasn't feeling up to it, so I cajoled a certain someone to do the dirty work for me. I left this person to the task and when I came back to check on the progress he/she was wearing swim goggles and rubber gloves to block the "onion vapors" and keep the smell from being on the hands all day. I had a good laugh about that one. This would be the perfect present for this person. I've always wondered how those tv food show hosts get through chopping onions without tears. I've tried every trick I've ever heard- sticking out my tongue, holding a pencil in my mouth, breathing only through my mouth, chilling the onions first. Nothing works for me. I've shed many a tear over my onions.

3 comments:

Robyn said...

I ALWAYS make Jacob chop the onions- he wears contacts so the vapors NEVER bother him.

Emily S. said...

Catching up on blogs! Cute pictures of Hannah. And your card is adorable. That certain someone deserves an award for chopping onions for you! That's true love!

Anonymous said...

Those are great, I think my eyes are still burning from the onions I made Jon cook last night for dinner!