Friday, January 25, 2008

Red Velvet Cupcakes With Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting

Cupcakes (makes 36 cupcakes / 350 degree oven)
3-3/4 cups cake flour
1/4 cups cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder or 1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter
3/8 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups buttermilk
3 teaspoons vinegar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 ounce red food coloring paste
2-1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cups butter
3 eggs

Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder (or cream of tarter), and salt into medium bowl -whisk buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla, and food coloring in small bowl to blend -beat sugar and butter in large bowl until well fluffy, 3 minutes -add eggs 1 at a time, beating until well blended. Beat dry ingredients in 4 additions alternately with buttermilk mixture in 3 additions in the butter/sugar mixture. Scoop into cupcake tins -bake cupcakes at 350 until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes -cool in pans 10 minutes -cool completely on racks .
Frosting
12 ounces or 1-1/2 packages of Philly cream cheese
1/2 stick butter
4-5 cups sifted powdered sugar
seeds of 1/2 vanilla bean
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Bring cheese and butter to room temperature by letting it sit out for 1 or 2 hours - sift powdered sugar into a bowl or onto parchment - beat butter and cheese at medium speed until creamy. Add 4 cups of the sugar and beat until combined -add vanillas and beat until combined. Add more sugar until you get to the consistency and sweetness you like.

*this recipe was taken from cupcakeblog.com

2 comments:

Robyn said...

How many cupcakes have you been making lately? :) I'm making the Cinnamon Toast ones next Saturday when Jill is in town. Can I use margarine in the frosting or does it need to be butter? Just wondering and hoping to save some money!

brooke said...

Robyn-

I think that you really need to use real butter for the frosting. If there was only just a little bit of butter in the frosting you could substitute, but there's a lot and margarine doesn't taste the same. You can save money by using plain brown sugar instead of dark- that's what I do. I buy butter when it's on sale at Safeway for $2.50 a box. That's the cheapest you can get it and I usually stock up and put it in my freezer. I'm not sure how much Wal-Mart charges, though.